Matte nails are the latest trend in nail fashion. They are versatile and can be worn with any outfit. There are many different shades of matte nails, but by far one of my personal favorite nail designs is matte blue nails!
However, in nail designs, nothing is that simple… with dozens of shades of matte blues, it’s quite easy to get confused.
In this article, we will discuss the trendiest shades of blue, share some unique and outstanding designs, tips on what to do and what definitely not to do, and more.
Outstanding Designs for Matte Blue Nails
Before diving deep into the realm of blue matte nails, here are some designs and ideas to get you wormed up. Don’t forget though, that there’s lots of information below…
These are just some of the coolest designs that demonstrate that there are no limits. You can take any design or finish you’d like and integrate it with matte blue style. From sweater finish to camouflage nails, you got this. Sky (blue) is the limit.
Featured Matte Blue Nail Colors
I know you are reading this headline and feel confused – blue nails are blue… no? But ask around with your friends (at least lady friends) to send you pictures of blue-colored nails and my guess is that you’ll get ten different shades from ten different friends.
For a long time now, blue is not simply blue…
Now with that in mind, here are the most popular shades of blue that go well with matte nail finish:
Matte Navy Blue Nails
This shade is fit for a queen, quite literally. It’s regal, rich, and screams sophistication. Navy blue is darker and richer, while regular blue is lighter and brighter. Therefore… navy blue is considered to be more formal, while regular blue is more casual. Think of navy blue as the “black tie” of the blue world. Though to my opinion, nothing in nails is written in stone. You can definitely break the rules and go against norms!
Dark Blue Nails in Matte
As you might have guessed, dark blue nails are darker than navy blue. It’s a deep, rich color that looks amazing with a matte finish. You can try different shades of dark blue and find the one that works best for you. They are most suited for the fall and winter months and usually when wearing darker clothing.
Light Blue Matte Nails
This shade is perfect for spring and summer. It’s a fun, flirty, and carefree color. You can definitely experiment with different shades of light blue to find the one that works best for you with your skin tone – you need to watch it so that they don’t look pale.
As a side note – light blue nails are super trending these days… so you cannot go wrong with this shade.
Matte Royal Blue Nails
This shade is fit for a queen (again). It is very similar to navy blue, but it’s a little lighter and brighter. In other words, I guess my colored blind husband won’t be able to tell the difference 🙂
With that said, royal blue is considered to be even more formal than navy blue. You can definitely experiment with this shade and find what works best for you.
Matte Blue Ombre Nails
Ombre nails are all the rage these days and there are many different ways to do them. In fact, just a few days ago we wrote about the spike in demand for nude ombre nail designs. The point is that you can definitely try ombre with any color, but I think matte ombre blue nails are some of the most beautiful and special nail designs out there these days.
Ombre is a gradient effect. So, you can play with it in an endless amount of ways, either going from light blue to dark by starting with a light blue at the bottom and then gradually fading into a dark blue at the top. Or, combined with a completely different color. For example, create an ombre effect going from blue to black or blue to white. The only super important request I have is that you share whatever design you do!
Matte Baby Blue Nails
On the complete opposite of the scale from royal blue, we have baby blue. This soft and delicate shade is perfect for those who want something dainty and feminine yet want to avoid the classic pinkish look. It’s also great for summer nails!
How to Get Matte Blue Nails?
Now that you know all the different shades of blue that go well with matte nails, it’s time to learn how to actually do them. The short recommended version, at least for the first time, is going to a nail salon near you – it will give you a chance to learn which exact blue is your favorite plus see it done in action.
Nevertheless, if you do opt for the DIY version, in essence, it’s not that different than any other matte manicure. Here are some tips:
– Choose your shade of blue. You can either pick one from the list above or find one on your own.
– Make sure your nails are clean and dry before starting. If they’re not, the polish won’t adhere properly and your manicure will be ruined.
– Apply a base coat. This will help protect your nails from staining and also create a smooth surface for the polish to adhere to.
– Apply two coats of polish, allowing each coat to dry completely in between.
– Finish with a topcoat. This will help your manicure last longer and also create a nice, matte finish.
– Enjoy your beautiful nails!
Here is a great video showing how to apply matte colored nails (blues are no different):
What Not to Do with Matte Blue Nails?
I always tend to say that in life, it is also very important to know what not to do 🙂
So, here are some tips on what not to do with your matte blue nails:
– Don’t forget the top coat! This is an essential step in creating a matte finish. Without it, your nails will look dull and unfinished.
– Don’t use a glossy topcoat. This defeats the purpose of having matte nails in the first place. If you want glossy nails, there are plenty of other colors to choose from. I know this one sounds obvious but you’d be surprised…
– Don’t use too much polish. This will make your manicure look messy and sloppy. Just use enough to cover your nails completely without going overboard.
Tips on Taking Care of Your Matte Blue Nails
Now that you have your beautiful matte blue nails, it’s important to take care of them so they can last as long as possible. Here are some tips:
– Avoid using your nails as tools 🙂 This will prevent them from chipping and breaking.
– Be careful with household cleaners. Many of them contain harsh chemicals that can damage your nails. If you must use them, make sure to wear gloves.
– Don’t soak your nails in water for too long. This can cause the polish to fade and also make your nails weak and brittle.
– Do use cuticle oil regularly. This will help keep your nails healthy and strong, which is especially important if you’re constantly wearing nail polish.
Which Outfits to Wear with your Matte Blue Nails?
Matte blue nails look great with any outfit! Whether you’re wearing a dress or jeans, they will add just the right amount of color. Here are some ideas:
– A white sundress with blue flowers
– A denim skirt with a white tank top
– A pair of ripped jeans with a chambray shirt
– A black dress with blue accessories
– A navy blazer with khaki pants
In other words – ANYTHING GOES
FAQs about Matte Blue Nails
Q: Can I use a regular top coat over my matte polish?
A: No, you should not use a regular top coat over your matte polish. This will defeat the purpose of having matte nails in the first place. If you want glossy nails, there are plenty of other colors to choose from.
Q: What if I accidentally get a glossy topcoat on my nails?
A: If you accidentally get a glossy topcoat on your nails, you can either remove it with acetone or wait for it to dry completely and then buff it off with a nail file.
Q: Can I use cuticle oil with my matte polish?
A: Yes, you can definitely use cuticle oil with your matte polish! In fact, I would recommend doing so to keep your nails healthy and strong.
Q: What is the best way to remove matte polish?
A: The best way to remove matte polish is with acetone. You can either use a cotton ball or a cotton pad soaked in acetone, or you can purchase acetone nail polish remover. Either way, make sure to remove all traces of the polish before applying a new color.
I hope you enjoyed this post on matte blue nails! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. I would love to hear from you! 🙂 until next time, take care!